Robben Island is an island in Table Bay, 6.9 km west of the coast of Bloubergstrand. It means “Seal Island” in Dutch, The Island is roughly oval in shape, 3.3 km in length and 1.9 km in width, with an area of 5.07 km². It is flat and few metres above sea level, as a result of an ancient erosion event. Former President of South Africa Nelson Mandela was imprisoned here for 18 years; the Dutch settlers were the first to use Robben Island as prison.
The island is a popular tourist destination and was declared a World Heritage Site in 1999. It is reached by ferry from the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront in Cape Town and is open throughout the year (weather permitting), the tour guides are formerly prisoners on the Island. Robben Island Museum operates as a site or living museum.
Township tour to Langa, it is the oldest township in South Africa, it was a designated settlement for black Africans in 1923. Langa literarily means “Sun”. Langa was actually named after Langalibelele, rebel chief of the amaHlubi. Langa is one of the many areas in South Africa that were designated for Black Africans before the apartheid era. Experience a visit to the Langa township community project centre called Guga’sthebe Cultural Centre.
ROBBEN ISLAND AND TOWNSHIP TOUR HIGHLIGHTS
- Ferry trip with guided tour
- Visit to Nelson Mandela prison cell
- Visit to District Six Museum (closed on Sundays)
- Shopping on Island
- District Six Area drive
- Walk through LangaTownship for about ± 2hrs
- Visit to the Township Community Project Centre
- Free Time to interact in the Community Centre
- Lunch in Township (Optional& Time Permitting).
Robben Island and Township tour Price Inclusive:
- District Six Museum entrance fee
- Ferry trip fee to Robben Island
- Professional Tourist Guide and Driver
- Full house Air-Conditional Vehicle/Van Luxury Vehicle/Car for Private Tour
- A Bottle of Natural Still Water on board per person
- Free Wi-Fi on board
- All other entrance fees
- Special Attractions
Depart Daily: ±08hr30, Return: ± 17hr00